Haven Hospice is one of the few programs to offer developmentally appropriate care and services to children ages 3 through 21 who are preparing for or grieving the loss of a loved one.
Children’s grief is often neglected because they may express feelings differently than adults do. Emotional support is essential at this time because unresolved childhood issues can contribute to social and emotional issues later in life. Haven Hospice children’s programs provide important support for youth ages 3 through 21.
Components of this program include
- Age and developmentally appropriate medical and emotional care and services for young patients with life-threatening illness
- Children’s Bereavement Support Group, which helps young people cope with issues surrounding illness and loss
- Individual and family counseling
- Activities that assist in memorializing loved ones
- Coping with Illness, a program for children and adolescents faced with life-threatening illness. Family members receive support also.